[Decipher-announce] DECIPHER March 2009 newsletter

Paul Bevan ab6 at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Apr 1 17:51:47 BST 2009

Greetings from Cambridge where after a week of gorgeous Spring weather
which has brought the spring flowers into blossom, we are now back with
more grey and wintry weather.

Downtime
========
We apologize to our users for DECIPHER being off-line recently whilst
version 4.1 was released.
Since this was an important major release involving software, hardware
and database schema changes and upgrades it was decided that to ensure
database integrity the website should be taken off-line for the duration
of the migration work.  This has now been completed successfully and the
upgrade will ensure that similar downtime in future will never be
required.  Thank you for your patience.

DECIPHER v4.1 (base-pair)
========================
The new release of DECIPHER which enables mapping to base-pair
resolution is an essential step for the project but has required a
complete overhaul including rewriting of the computer code and migrating
to new hardware. Unfortunately this process did not go smoothly due to
unforeseen technical problems and we apologise to users that the system
was down for longer than we had hoped.   Since base-pair is the ultimate
resolution of the genome, future releases of the software should be far
less disruptive.

Genomic Disorders 2009
======================
Over 300 people attended the meeting at the Wellcome Trust Conference
Centre at Hinxton to see a packed programme of speakers and posters
presenting the latest information on genomic variation in health and
disease. The pace of change in this field is remarkably fast and we were
particularly struck with how much things have changed in just two years.
We hope all who attended enjoyed the meeting as much as we did.
Provisional dates for 2010 are Wednesday March 24th-Friday March 26th.

Important date for your 2009 Diary
DECIPHER Symposium May 20th-22nd 2009.
We look forward to welcoming you to Hinxton for our annual symposium in
the late Spring.

With best wishes from the DECIPHER team

Contact email: decipher at sanger.ac.uk